Sitters, Nannies & Tutors
Who are your sitters, nannies and tutors?
Island Sitters is an online service allowing you to schedule a sitter in Barbados – but one which is fully regulated. We meet, interview, select and check the references of all the sitters, nannies and tutors on our books so you know that you can rely on us for quality sitters.
Our sitters, nannies and tutors all have different backgrounds and extensive childcare experience. We not only hire sitters who have experience but who are also bright, educated, friendly, interesting and polite. We provide top quality sitters and we search high and low in Barbados to find them. All of our nannies, sitters and tutors have been interviewed and briefed by one of our consultants. Candidates will hold current police certificate of character and many hold a CPR first aid certificate.
Do they have qualifications?
Many of our sitters have childcare qualifications, and many have degrees in related subjects. We do not only hire sitters who have all the relevant paperwork as it is proven to us over and over that experience is more important than certificates. All of our sitters are highly capable young women, and all have years of experience. Most are educated to degree level, and many are bilingual.
How is a Babysitter different from a Nanny?
A Nanny is a specialist carer – somebody who would look after your children in the day and is usually contracted for a set period of time (such as the duration of your holiday or a school term). A babysitter is usually hired for shorter periods of time during the day or night but can also be contracted for set periods. Usually Nannies have more direct childcare experience than Babysitters.
Can I sign up as an Island Sitters sitter, tutor or nanny?
Absolutely! We’re continuously expanding our sitter pool and we would love to meet you and have a chat about how we can work together once you meet our requirements. These include being 16 years or older with legal working status in Barbados and relevant work experience. For more information please check out our ‘Join us’ page.
Can I get the same sitter each time I book?
If your preferred sitter is available of course you may request them but we can not guarantee the same person is always available.
I need a Babysitter tonight – can you help?
Of course we can! With Island Sitters, you’re never in a bind. Please note that there is a surplus cost for rush bookings (under 6 hours notice).
Can I just book the sitter by calling them directly?
Absolutely not! Sitters are not permitted to take private bookings and this has been outlined in their contracts.
How does your booking process work?
- You send in a request via our online form, outlining who you are looking for. Please include details like dates/times, location, number of children/pets, special requirements, etc.
- Island sitters processes the request & sources 1-3 sitters who can fit the requirements
- Island Sitters sends you an email with 1-3 sitter profiles and an outline of the agency fees, asking you to choose the sitter you would prefer if there is more than 1 available. You also have the option to arrange a ‘meet & greet’ at an additional cost.
- You confirm the sitter.
- Island Sitters confirms the agreement & sends a contract outlining the terms and conditions.
- You can either transfer the finder’s fee to us directly or have it added to the amount which you pay the sitter by the end of the job. In that case you pay the sitter their wage + the finder’s fee.
- You send us a request via our online form
- Island Sitters sends you a profile form. Please provide us with as much detail as possible.
- Once we have read your profile and contacted your references, we set up a meeting with you.
- We then ask that you sign our sitter’s contract to confirm your Island Sitter’s membership.
Pricing & Payment
- How much does it cost?
Please see our Pricing & Payments page.
- Are there any contracts?
Though our sitters are not directly employed by us, we do require that they sign contracts outlining their roles and responsibilities as Island Sitters representatives. We expect certain codes of conduct of them which have been outlined and emphasised on their contract.
- What details should I leave my sitter?
Please leave your sitter your mobile number and the name of the place you will be. Also leave the sitter your full address so that they know exactly where they are in case of an emergency. For babysitters/nannies/tutors, we require that you outline any of your children’s allergies or specific house rules.
- I’m not happy with my service, can I give feedback?
Absolutely! We’re committed to providing a great service, so please get in touch with us if you were unhappy with your sitter, nanny or tutor for any reason. Similarly, our sitters know that they can give us feedback on our clients. The safety and wellbeing of our sitters and our clients is extremely important to us.
- I have another question.
Please call give email us firstname.lastname@example.org.