Joining the Island Sitters Team
Thank you for your interest in Island Sitters!
We’re always looking for experienced, passionate, trustworthy and genuinely nice people to join our team.
We welcome people of all ages to sign up as a babysitter, nanny, pet sitter, house sitter or tutor, granted you have the right amount of experience, work permits for Barbados, any relevant qualifications and great references.
Please carefully read our Sitter FAQS (Frequently Asked Questions) below before you consider signing up with us.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive on a daily basis, we only respond to those who are qualified and experienced enough to suit what we are looking for.
1. Is it free to register Island Sitters?
Yes, it is free to register with Island Sitters.
2. What are the requirements to sign up as an Island Sitters team member?
Basic qualifications for all Island Sitters team members:
- You must be aged 16 or older.
- You must have legal working status in Barbados*
- We like people who are friendly and polite. This is very important!
- Professionalism- strong communication skills, reliability, punctuality.
- You must have an up to date Police Certificate
- You must have an up to date Health Certificate
- You must have relevant experience (either as a Babysitter, Nanny, Childcare professional, teacher, tutor, pet sitter, house sitter, nurse)
- You must have 3 relevant references who can speak to the experience you have
3. What do you look for in a Sitter or Nanny?
Many of our sitters have childcare qualifications, and many have degrees in related subjects. We do not only consider sitters who have all the relevant paperwork as it is proven to us over and over that experience is more important than certificates. All of our sitters are highly capable young women, and all have years of experience. Most are educated to degree level, and many are bilingual. In addition to the requirements outlined above, we also look for the following with our Nannies:
- For Nannies: Willingness to help with light housekeeping and tasks related to the care of the child (meal prep, laundry)
- For Nannies: Ability to commit to working with us for a minimum of six months and ability to commit to a family for 1+ years
Additional qualifications we look for:
Trainings and certifications such as first aid, infant/child CPR, early childhood education
Newborn & Infant experience
Willingness to live-in during summer months
Ability to travel and valid passport
Ability to swim and drive
Other abilities and talents, including performing/visual arts, swimming, sports, and more
4. What is your application process like?
- First, you must fill out our Sitter Profile form as honestly and accurately as possible. Before meeting with us, you must apply for a Police Certificate of Character and a Health Certificate. If you already have these documents, you must make sure that they are up to date.
- Secondly, you must meet with us in person at one of our Sitter Sign Up meetings. Once you send us the Sitter Profile, we will let you know when the next Sitter Sign up meeting is.
- Finally, we then speak to 3 of your references to see what your experience is like. If you’re a suitable fit for Island Sitters, then then invite you to join our team.
5. Will I be employed by Island Sitters?
No, our sitters are not directly employed by us. We do require that you sign contracts outlining your roles and responsibilities as Island Sitters representatives. We expect certain codes of conduct which have been outlined and emphasised in the contract.
6. I am not currently living in Barbados, but I want to work there as a Sitter or Nanny. Will Island Sitters arrange a work permit for me?
We get this question a lot, and unfortunately we do not sponsor Barbados work permits or visas for any international nannies or sitters. We have a great team right here in Barbados, with a combination of international and local nationalities, who are all permitted to work in Barbados. You can read more about the legal requirements to work in Barbados here, but we DO NOT sponsor work permits, nor do we assist individuals with obtaining legal working status in Barbados in any way.
6. What if I don’t want to apply to be a babysitter, and I am only interested in your other services?
That’s absolutely fine! We have people on our team who are strictly interested in pet sitting, tutoring or house sitting and have no experience with children. The same rules apply as mentioned in Question 2.
7. If I join, do I have to commit to this full time?
No, our team is comprised of people who do this as a full time career and on a temporary basis. Our jobs range from full time nanny positions to one off jobs, so our role as an agency is to match your availability (and suitability) with the opportunities that come up.
8. What references should I use?
Please provide at least three relevant references who have great things to say about your babysitting, house sitting, tutoring or pet sitting experience. Immediate family members will not be accepted as valid references. For example, please list people who have seen you working with children, or who you have babysat or worked for.
9. Where is your office located?
We’re an online company, with no office space and no permanent location. We use the internet for most of our business transactions, so if you are unfamiliar with email, Facebook or any other technology, you may need to reconsider working with us or make sure that you have someone who can communicate with us on your behalf.
10. Anything else I should know before I apply?
We’re very passionate about what we do, and we like to ensure that our team shares that passion!
Just a note on Photos: we’re not shallow, we promise, but please make every effort to include a well lit, nice, smiling photo of yourself in your Sitter Profile application. This is outlined in the Sitter Profile, but we can’t stress this enough! So please, SMILE!